About Zach Waldman (that's me!)
Hi there! My name is Zach and I'm a professional comedy-magician who specializes in corporate events and private parties.
When I was about six years old, Burger King copied McDonald's and their happy meal with a kids' meal of their own. Most people don't remember, but there was a guy who played the part of the Burger King and he was a magician. As a result, their kids' meal came with magic tricks, which is where I got my first one. I still have it after all these years!
I fell in love with magic, and as a I got older my mom encouraged me to put together an act and charge money for it. That's right, my mom actually pushed me toward being a professional entertainer.
I was born in North Miami, FL, graduated from the University of Central Florida, moved to New York City to work on The Howard Stern Show, and then worked for Kenny Kramer, the real Kramer. Next, I moved to Chicago to attend the Player's Workshop of the Second City, and finally landed in Santa Monica, CA, which is where I've been since 2000. I'm clearly running from the law. Don't tell. 🙂
I have lots of stories, and they're all very long. So, I'm going to cut to the chase.
I'm both a comedian and a magician and my shows are all very different because I customize them for every audience. I've been lucky to perform for some amazing people. Here's a picture of me with a bunch of famous scientists, including Nobel Prize Winner David Baltimore.
The problem with magicians
The average person thinks he or she knows what a magician does, but truthfully, very few people have seen a professional magician in person.
Thinking all magicians are the same is like thinking all bands are the same.
People often tell me that they don't like magicians, but they like me. Again, that's like saying you don't like singers, but you do like John Lennon.
When I ask people what they don't like about magicians, they usually name several things, such as:
- Silly costumes (I wear a suit)
- Bad jokes (my comedy is original, not the stock material of many magicians)
- They make me feel stupid, or it's frustrating not knowing how the tricks work (entertainment should be enjoyable, not a challenge)
- Interruptions due to walk-around magic (ask me about my approach, which is unique and eliminates this common complaint from guests)
- Kiddie magic, not appropriate for adults (from clean comedy for corporate events to something more adult, none of what I do will insult your intelligence)
A Lifetime of Experience, Zach:
- Became a professional entertainer in his teens.
- Has performed regularly at The Magic Castle in Hollywood, CA since 2001.
- Performed at many other theaters and comedy clubs including the El Portal, the Comedy Store, the Improv, the Flamingo, Flappers, the Laugh Factory, and many others.
- Clients include the biggest celebrities and corporations in the world.
- Performed for Whitney Houston, Seth MacFarlane, Chris Rock, Dave Grohl, Larry King, Pat Sajak, Chris Tucker, Ron Darling, Vice President Al Gore, Pete Carroll, Sugar Ray Leonard, Senator Al Franken, Gene Wilder, Senator Harry Reid, Microsoft, Google, BusinessWeek, Absolut, the L.A. Kings, Anheuser-Busch, Toms, and many more.
Wow, if you're still reading this, you really do want to know all about me. Thanks!
Since you asked, I've been studying no-gi Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu since 2007. My instructor's name is Eddie Bravo and I received my Black Belt on 7/25/2022. Here's a pic:
Thank you for showing interest in me. Now, it's your turn to tell me all about how I can help make your next event fun, memorable, and unique.
Simply fill out the booking request form and I'll be in touch to discuss your event in detail.
I look forward to a great working relationship with you!